Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I am not a US citizen nor a permanent resident and I am not ordinarily resident in the US. What is
my tax position on dividends and capital gains from investing in US securities?

Any info would be appreciated.>>

If you are neither a US citizen nor resident, you will generally pay a flat 30% tax (or less, if your home country and the US has a tax treaty that stipulates a lesser rate) on any interest or dividends paid by US companies. But you will not be assessed a tax on capital gains from the sale of equities.

For additional information, check out IRS Publication 519 "Tax Guide for Aliens" for additional information. You can also check out IRS Pub 901 for tax treaty information. You can read/download these publication from the IRS web site:

Hope this helps..
TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.