Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I contatced Ameritrade about this, and their reply indicated to me that after I roll the account over to a Roth IRA a) I can no longer make contributions to it (ie. I would hae to set up a new account to which I can make further contributions), b) the two accounts can never be combined, and c) I would have to pay taxes on
the full distribution, even though I was funding an IRA with the distribution.>>

a) This was an IRS recommendation, not a requirement. Each broker or mutual fund is handling it in their own way. Vanguard already told me that contributions to a rollover would be no problem. The technical corrections are supposed to change all of this, but it doesn't mean that Ameritrade will change it's policy in time for you. However, please remember that you can still set up the deductible traditional IRA before April 15th and deal with the rollover issue at a later date (after the tech corrections are final).

b) Basically the same answer as above, same reasons. Although, most brokers/mutual funds are allowing combinations after five years. Check out KAT's web site for the full scoop on the tech corrections (as well as other IRA issues).

http://www.fairmark.com/

c) Yes, because contributions to a Roth are not deductible. Therefore, rollovers that were deductible under a traditional IRA must be taxed. The advantage to doing what you want to do is that the tax on the rollover can be spread over four years, starting with 1998. This at least gets you out of the tax for 1997 and then spreads the pain out.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement