Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I currently work for an American Company on international assignment. My income is not taxable due to the $75K income exclusion.>>'s actually $76,000 for year 2000

<< When I file taxes I file a 2555 or 2555ez along with a 1040. My income is in the $30K to $50K range so I am not even close to the $75K limit.>> must file Form 2555 (or 2555EZ) in order to claim the foreign earned income credit.

<<I have a company sponsored 401K plan where I contribute 4% (After Tax) contributions.>>


<<My questions are:

What will be the tax liabilities for the 401K since I contributed After Tax (even though I don't pay taxes on my income)when I retire and start pulling from the account?>>

You'll pay taxes on the ordinary income rates. This is one reason that a number of ex-pats shun 401k plans in favor of "taxable" investments during their time out of the country. Why convert non-taxable income now into taxable income in the future??

<<My company was just sold and the new company has a 401K also. All of my future contributions will now go to the new companies 401K. Can I roll my old companies 401K into a Triditional IRA or Roth IRA?>>

You'll have to check with your plan administrator. You will likely have the option of pulling your 401k money out. Then you could move it to a traditional IRA...and then to a Roth IRA should you desire. And, depending upon the amount involved, it might be fairly tax-painless. But remember that any conversion income (from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA) will not be covered under the foreign earned income exclusion. So it might be subject to taxes.

<<Can I contribute to a Roth IRA in conjunction to my 401K? Remember that my income is excluded form Taxation.>>

Nope...not without earned income. And Uncle Sammy says that if you "shelter" your foreign earned income with the exclusion, you have no earned income for IRA testing purposes. I believe that you can elect to exclude all but $2k of your earned income, and then use that $2k to fund an IRA account (either traditional or Roth). But other tax pros disagree with me. Take it for what you paid for it.

<<I really have a bucket full of worms here. I am just curious if anyone has seen this type of situtation before.>>

More than once... :-)

TMF Taxes

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.