Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I filed the 4 month extension for my 97 tax return and am getting ready to send my check.

I do not have an IRA now and would like to set one up and make a $2000 contribution (for 97)to save a few tax dollars.

I have been told that I can do this even at this late date so long as I have not yet filed and so long as my filing extension is honored by IRS.

Anyone know if this is legal?>>

Sorry, the deadline is your return due date WITHOUT regard to extensions. In other words, April 15, even if you have a valid extension to August 15.

Kaye Thomas, author
Fairmark Press Tax Guide for Investors
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.