UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: KATinChicagoland Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76906  
Subject: Re: Estimated Tax Date: 6/14/1998 8:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<I find myself in the opposite position, where my withholding is too high due to several homeowner related deductions.

I am currently claiming single 2 on my W-4, which is the most a single person with no dependants can claim if they fill out the form following the instructions.

Is it legal to lie and claim single 4 and try to bring my withholding in line with my actual taxes?>>

Actually, the form DOES permit a single person with no dependents to claim more allowances. On page 2 (the back) of Form W-4 there's a worksheet for determining additional exemptions you may claim because of anticipated deductions. If you use that worksheet to claim more allowances you should be able to reduce the size of your overwithholding.

Note that there's no requirement to turn in this worksheet. Just keep it for your records.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.