No. of Recommendations: 3
<<I had one immediately accept my offer in writing and on MY paper contract I sent them. Floored me - because I fully expected them to negotiate. They didn't.

Some are telling me they want more.

And... When I got home tonight, I see another one that accepts my 50 percent as long as I sign their document and make timely payments. Their document DOES NOT include any reporting to the credit bureous, but it does say that once I pay, they will delete the entire account from all credit bureause within 60 days. I think I'll take it.

Thanks for your constructive help.
>>

I have no ethical objection to the kind of negotiation you are conducting. As a matter of fact, I'd say it's the mirror image of credit card companies imposing the kind of fees you and others are complaining about ----

You are negotiating because the accounts have been written off and the companies don't anticipate getting any money. You have some power over them and are using it in a legal fashion.

When some credit card companies identify financial weaknesses, they can exploit that weakness with fees, higher interest rates and whatever. Tactics that I presume are legal, and likely related to the increased risk of loss they perceive.

Same deal.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement