Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I have a major unrecognized loss in Lucent stock(about 1950 shares purchased in the mid 70's). The problem is is that 350 shares are in my dedicated tax paying account. I played and lost.>>

Sorry...but I have no idea what you are trying to tell me here. First, Lucent wasn't even around in the 1970 (they were a spin off from another company just a few years back). And I don't know what a "dedicated taxpaying account" might be.

But if you haven't SOLD the shares, the "unrealized" loss is meaningless for tax purposes.

<< I've since got 1-day wiring to my bank account that I can draw on near April 15th. Should I wait and make up the balance on my credit card and transfer to a cheap balance??? I know, stocks can go down too....>>

Sorry...but I'm just not seeing the question that you are trying to ask.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.