Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I have a non-qulaified plan with my employer. When I leave or retire the funds become mine. My question is
do I have to pay FICA taxes (SSI), as the compensation is for years past?>>

I don't know exactly what type of plan that you have, so it's difficult to really respond.

But generally, while the deferred comp is not subject to INCOME taxes, they ARE subject to FICA and other employment taxes when they are paid to you. Which means that when you take future distributions from the plan, they would not be subjected to employemnt taxes again.

That being said, there ARE non-qualified plans that deferr both income and employment taxes. Which mean that when they are paid out in the future, they'll generally be subjected to both income and employment taxes.

So you really should investigate what is currently going on with you and review the plan that has been provided by your employer. Your employer should be able to give you a summary of this plan that should answer all of your questions.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.