Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I have a question about claiming capital loss from a stock investment. I bought 400 share some
stock at $25 13 months ago. I bought another 400 at $18 10 months ago. Now the stock is at $10
and I would like to sell a portion of the 800 shares to claim some loss. I have no other capital gain
in my return this year. How do I calculate the cost basis of the stock if, say, I sell 200 shares?>>


KAT provided you with the "right on" answer in all respects. If, for whatever reason, you DO want to specify the other lower basis ($18) shares, you might be able to do so (but, as KAT points out, I'm not sure why you would want to do so).

Check out my Frequently Asked Question on "Specifying Stock" in the Fools School area and you'll get a flavor for what is involved if you want to specify shares rather than using the FIFO (first in-first out) method.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.