Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: Re: Schedule C question!!!!!!! Date: 11/2/2000 5:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<I have a regular job and on the side I edited a few chapters in a book.>>

You sound like a busy person. Congrats!!

<<Question 1) That "on the side income" is reported as self employed income on schedule C, correct?>>

It depends on how you are classified by the person making the payment to you. If you are an employee, you'll receive a W-2 form. It'll just be additional wages, and you'll report them with the wages that you receive from your "day" job. But if you are treated as an "independent contractor", you'll likely receive Form 1099 (if you receive anything at all). And that income would then be reported on Schedule C...as you correctly note.

<<Question 2) Can I buy a computer and a PDA and deduct them right off the top of the self employed income?>>

If you use the computer and the PDA exclusively for your business, yes. You would accomplish this by taking the "section 179 expense" election on this property. You can read more about this election in IRS Publication 946. If you use them LESS than 100% for your business but more than 50%, you'll still receive the 179 election, but your deduction will be limited to the cost of the equipment TIMES your business use percentage. If you use the equipment less than 50% for business, you'll have to depreciate the equipment over a five year period.

<<Example: I made $6,000 doing the editing. I buy a $2,000 computer and a $500 PDA. Does that mean I only pay taxes on $3,500 worth of self employed income come April?>>

Assuming 100% business use for the computer and PDA, the answer would be yes. But you still have to complete Form 4562 to report the election to use Section 179 to "expense" these assets.

And, don't forget, you may be eligible for a SEP pension plan on your "side" money...which will reduce your taxes even more.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement