Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121100  
Subject: Re: inherited 401k for non-spouse Date: 11/2/2000 5:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<I inhereited a 401k account from my Dad that is all company stock and contains only a small after tax contribution. I have 5 years to dispose of the account. >>

Well, you may have many more options that that. Check out my article on IRA beneficiaries for some additional information. You'll find it in the Taxes FAQ area. It doesn't completely apply to you, because the article is written for IRA accounts, and you're receiving a 401k. So the rules are a bit different.

Then go to the 401k administrator and get the rules applicable to your specific situation before you make your final decisions.

<<I understand that all payouts are considered long term capital gain. Does the capital gain rate depend on your other income tax rate or is only taxed at 10% ?>>

Again, the taxes will be dependent on how the funds are removed. In order to get the capital gains treatment, the balance must be taken in the form of a lump sum distribution. So you'll need to make sure that you have ALL of the facts down before you take any distributions and potentially trip yourself up. You might want to check IRS Form 4972 and the associated instructions. You might also want to read TMF Pixy's article on taking 401k funds in the form of company stock and retaining the capital gains component. You'll find his article in the Retirement section of the personal finance area.

But if these funds are substantial, you might want some professional help in making your decision. A bad decision or destribution could cost you many tax dollars.

As to your original question, your capital gain rate will be based upon this income and your other income. You'll "fill up" your 10% bracket area and will then move to the 20% bracket level as your income rises. There are also articles in the Taxes FAQ area which discuss this issue in more depth.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement