Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I just converted my old IRA to a Roth IRA. I've read a couple of places that I was required to make estimated tax payments on the roll over amount. Anybody know either way?>>

You may or may not have to make estimated tax payments this year. Even if the amount of the rollover was large, you may not have to pay estimated taxes if you can rely on the safe harbor for your prior year taxes. If you rely on this safe harbor you avoid the requirement to pay estimates, but you can end up with a whopping tax bill in April 1999. This topic will be covered in my web site within a couple of weeks if not sooner.

KAT in Chicagoland
Tax Guide for Investors
Includes the latest information on
Roth IRA technical corrections
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.