Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFMax Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25214  
Subject: Re: Self directed IRA's Date: 2/2/1999 12:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<I left a job 2 years ago in which I had a 401k account at the Principal Financial
Group. I have been very disappointed with my accounts performance.
I have an account at Datek online. Very happy with this online broker. Trying to
make sure I understand the steps I need to take.
If I open a self directed IRA with Datek can I then:
1. Buy and sell stock in individual companies in the same way that I do with my
regular brokerage account?
2. This would of course be funded with the money I would rollover from the
Principal Financial Group. After opening account would I then contact the
Principal and request that my funds be transfered?
3. Lets say $25k gets rolled into my new Datek account. I could then invest in
companies or funds of my choosing. Only being able to add the $2000 for my
wife and I on a yearly basis?
4. If I open this account can I also open a Roth account with Datek and put
$2000 apiece in it for this tax year?
Thanks in advance for any help on this?>>

wild7and8,

Yes, I think you've got everything right here. As to contacting Principal, I'm not even sure you have to do that, Datek should be able to send you a rolloever kit which may include all the paperwork necessary -- it really may depend on your plan. Contact Datek for the rollover kit, and you'll find out.

You are correct -- the rollover of 401k to an IRA will not affect your ability to make your $2000 Roth IRA contribution for this year.

In short, I think you've got everything correct.

Bill
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement