UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308882  
Subject: Re: Credit Card Debt Reduction Date: 4/7/1998 10:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<I need some sound advice on how to begin a credit card debt elimination plan for myself. I decided to set a goal for myself of 24 - 36 months. Then I divided the current balance(s) by 36. My question is this: should I have included the current interest rate in this formula? In other words, once I determinded the monthly rate of 36 equal payments, should I have multiplied that by the current percentage rate? Would this accelerate the payment of the principal or is this unrealistic? Although it would be tight for the first few months, I am willing to stick with this until I see the mountain of debt disappear. Does anyone have a better solution?>>

This isn't exactly the answer you were asking for, and several things may not apply to you, but others may find useful.

The Motley Fool has a credit/Debt area it is located at http://www.fool.com/credit/credit.htm .

A good book on this:
How to Get Out of Debt, Stay Out of Debt and Live Prosperously -- Jerrold Mundis
You can find this at amazon.com or your local library.

Useful software.
Quicken http://www.intuit.com/
Debt Analyzer http://www.debtanalyzer.com/

A definition so we can agree on what we are talking about. A debt is any unsecured loan. If a creditor would lose money if you didn't pay it is a debt. A mortgage is not a debt since if you didn't pay, the creditor takes your house and doesn't stand to lose money. A credit card is obviously debt, past due utility bills are also debts.

As you are paying everyone back you may have to talk to the various creditors. Don't lie to your creditors. No matter how much they insist/whine about what you must do, DON'T promise anything you can't deliver. If you say you will drop a check off Thursday come hell or high water make sure they have the check Thursday.

Now a plan of attack. This is my adaptation of the previously mentioned book.

Step 1: Don't make things worse. Quite simply don't get any more debt. Don't use a credit card.

Step 2: Make a list of all your creditors, minimum payment, monthly interest, interest rate, and amount owed.

Step 3: If you don't have an emergency fund pay something to yourself in some form of savings (savings account, money market, EE bonds, ...). You will need this fund so that when the refrigerator dies it can be replaced without going into more debt (see step 1).

Step 4: Try to make AT LEAST the minimum payment to all creditors. If there isn't a minimum payment (the loan from your brother) pay some monthly payment. If you have more than the minimum paymanets that can be used to retire debt, send it to the creditor with the highest interest rate (or the most annoying creditor). If you don't have enough for the minimum payments try to at least cover the monthly interest and penalties, and talk to the creditor.

Step 5: Keep track of everything. A journal page for each creditor is a good idea. You will know exactly what you promised, and you can keep track of the balance of the account and see it going down. Keep track of every account you liquidate, positive reinforcement is always nice.

Step 6: As you retire debts use the money you were paying to them to pay off the next highest rate debt.

Things I have left out of this is keeping track of where your money goes (I already knew). And makeing a spending plan (budget) (I already had a rough one). The budget I use is a mixture of products, product classes, and stores. For example I plan on spending $60 on gas, and $200 at Sam's club. Notice that I didn't specify that $20 of the Sam's trip was for laundry producets.

Does this work:
It's working for me. I haven't used a credit card in two years, and have liquidated several debts. It's hard to say when I will be debt free, but it looks like three to four years. For the first time my wife and I are going in the same direction.

~~paul
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement