Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: davekarpinski Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Re: Avoiding 10% Penalty With Roth Date: 12/14/1999 6:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<I opened a contributory Roth IRA for 1998.>>

OK...got it.

<< Can I now convert a regular IRA directly into this account?>>

Sure...no problem. I don't know if you WANT to...but you certainly are able to. You might want to read my musings about how many Roth IRA accounts that you really want.

<< If I make this conversion (of the regular IRA to Roth) in the year 2001, can I avoid the 10% penalty on the converstion if I withdrawl the converted amount after Jan 1, 2003? ie. when does the five year clock start ticking on the conversion money? Note: I will be younger than 59.5 in 2003.>>

The five year clock begins to tick on January 1 of the year of conversion. And it's a five TAX YEAR clock...which is different than a straight five year clock. If you convert in 2001, the earliest that you could take the converted funds out would be January, 2005. And that's regardless of your current age.

-------
Roy,

Have I been asleep or did you not say in a number of other postings that the 5 year window starts with the first Roth IRA that is established? The way the law was originally drafted, converted IRA's were treated differently from contributory IRA's but that law was changed to start the 5 year clock at the first Roth IRA contribution or conversion. In this case, a contributory IRA was established in 1998, so all withdrawals after Dec 31, 2003 should be qualifying.

That's the way I understand it. This is what pub 590 from the IRS says:

"A distribution is not a qualified distribution if it is: 1) Made within the 5-year period beginning with the first year for which either a regular or a conversion contribution was made to a Roth IRA set up for your benefit." ...

If the distributions are not more than the original amount of contributions and/or amounts rolled over, then there is no penalty once the 5-year window has passed.

Dave

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement