Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<I read with interest re the taxability of an inherited IRA. Does the same hold true for a selfdirected annuity?>>

Generally speaking, yes.

Generally, the tax deferred earnings in an annuity will be taxed to SOMEBODY. It's called Income with Respect to a Decedent (or IRD) income.

But there are a number of annuity products out there, many tied to life insurance. If what you are asking is tied to a life insurance product, the answer might be completely different.

So if you could a bit more precise with your question, I'll try to be more precise with my response.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.