Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Cost Basis Date: 7/4/1997 1:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<I recently changed brokers thinking that they would transfe all stocks to the new broker. However, and this is the kicker, they do not accept fractional shares so the old broker sold them. And I was already having trouble with figuring taxes when I go to sell the shares. My dividends were reinvested(I recently left a post re; cost basis of selling shares with dividends reinvested). So Schwab sold some fractional shares that were left with them .So can these fractional shares be considered as some of the di
vidends for the purpose of cost basis? And then when I sell all the original shares figure the cost from that as instructed above(#56 I believe) The amts will be only $200-$300. What a mess. I guess this is a cautionary tale for others. >>

Yup. You're right. A mess is exactly what you have.

All I can do is to lead you back to my original post as advice regarding the allocation of basis to these shares.

You will NOT be able to do a basis adjustment unless you sell of the remainder of the shares this year (1997). Why not?? Because Schwab will be sending you a Form 1099B at year end which will reflect the sale of those fractional shares. If you still hold the "whole" shares, you'll have to go through and compute the basis on the fractional shares in order to complete your 1997 Schedule D.

Obviously, if you decide to sell the remainder of your positions in 1997, you're basis allocation will be much easier and defensible. The "spreading" of the basis will be much less important since the entire position will have been sold off.

So you'll have to make a decision as to what to do. Personally, I wouldn't sell off a stock that I thought had potential just because of these issues. But that is a call that only YOU can make.

And if you decide to simply take a WAG (wild arse guess) as to the basis of these shares, based upon your records, that is another decision that you must make. I can only tell you what the law requires. But for $200-300, you shouldn't lose tooooo much sleep over this entire transaction. You make the call.

And as JeanDavid points out, one of the beauties of trading in an IRA is that the recordkeeping is a snap. Stock splits, spin offs, split ups, fractional shares. WHO CARES. The money is subject to tax when it is REMOVED from the IRA.

And while removing funds from an IRA that has "basis" (i.e., non-deductible contributions were made to the IRA during some time in the past) may cause some computational issues when the IRA money is withdrawn (you have to "blend" taxable and non-taxable amounts withdrawn), the recordkeeping issues are MUCH reduced.

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes
Roy Lewis
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement