Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121570  
Subject: Re: Mutual Fund Selloff Date: 10/6/1997 12:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<I still have one or two mutual funds which I would like to sell and begin managing the funds myself. The funds have appreciated significantly over the years. I know the rule of thumb that says not to buy funds just prior to earnings disbursements at the end of the year, but is there a rule of thumb about the best time to sell?

Also, if I'll be in a higher tax bracket this year than next year, does this change the situation?>>

I sure don't know about any rule of thumb about when to sell. You would certainly want to time your sale (it at all possible) prior to any dividend distributions, since the distributions may be taxed (at least partially) at your marginal tax rate, whereas your sale of the shares would (I assume at least an 18 month holding period on the vast majority of the shares)be taxed at a maximum capital gains rate of 20%. So your focus and issue would be on the distributions.

Obviously, if you have reinvested dividends, some of your gain will be treated as a short term capital gain, taxable at your marginal tax rate. But even with reinvested dividends, much of your gain (again, assuming at least an 18 month holding period) will be taxed at the 20% maximum tax rate as provided for in the 1997 tax act.

Finally, the timing of your sale will most likely be predicated on your holding period. The more of your gain that can be pushed into the 20% rate, the better. And the more that you can push into the 20% rate, the more meaningless the year of sale becomes. But if your gains will be taxed at your marginal rate, you'll want to try to time the sale in the year that your marginal tax rate will be reduced.

Make any sense??
TMF Taxes
Roy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement