Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I understand that (in 1998 only) you can spread the effects of rolling over a regular IRA into a Roth
IRA over 4 years. Is there any way to elect to avoid this 4-year spread-out and roll the IRA over
all at once?>>

Nope...sorry, Dan. The law is clear that the "spreading" of the income is not an election, but something that must be done if you take the rollover in 1998.

<< Also, are there any special tax forms (besides the IRA line on the 1040) that one must fill out to
document regular IRA contributions? IRA contributions that turn out to be non-deductible?>>

The form that you will want to use is Form 8606. This form reports the IRA as non-deductible, and tracks your tax basis in your IRA for future tax reference. You can view/download Form 8606 at the IRS web site (

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.