Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I'd like to do the education IRA for my two sons (ages 3 yrs and 9 mos.). The Fool has an example where Grandpa
gives a child a $500 gift and then the child puts the money in the education IRA himself. This intrigues me. >>

Good...glad you found my tip intriguing.

<< Since neither of my children can write, they can't endorse a check. How careful do I have to be when pursuing this
avenue? >>

It's easy. You would be acting on behalf of the child the custodin of the account. But it would certainly be a gift from Grandpa...or perhaps Grandpa could even open the account directly. It works virtually any way you slice it. If Grandpa gives the kids the funds, you would open a custodial account under the name of the kids, and then make the transfer to an Ed IRA account. Really pretty simple. But check with your bank or broker for the actual specifics of the transaction.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.