Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<If a personal representative (executor, administrator, etc.) has been appointed, that person signs for your father. If none has been appointed, your mother can sign as surviving spouse.>>

So far none has been appointed so my mother will sign the joint tax return for him. Excuse me if this a dumb question: does my mother sign her name or my father's name?

Usually on certain legal documents, my mother would sign HER name and next to the signature, put down "for XXXXXX (my father's name)".

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.