Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<If I sell shares of stock in a company that I hold outside of an IRA, and subsequently buy shares of the same stock within my IRA, is this considered a "wash sale"?>>

The answer is that no one can say for sure. The wash sale rule, as written in the Code and regulations, does not apply in this situation. But the IRS has sometimes contended -- successfully -- that a loss should be disallowed when a taxpayer sells property at a loss and uses a controlled entity to buy identical property. Some experts conclude that there is, in effect, a "common law" wash sale rule in addition to the one in the Code. There are no cases dealing with IRAs, so the issue is unclear.

The stakes are higher with this maneuver than with a regular wash sale. Normally if the wash sale rule applies you get an increase in the basis of the replacement stock, and later you can use that basis to recognize a loss or reduce a gain. But if the replacement stock is in an IRA, the increased basis does you no good, so the adverse results are more severe. That's why I shy away from recommending this course of action.

KAT in Chicagoland
www.fairmark.com
Tax Guide for Investors
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement