No. of Recommendations: 0
<<If my wife starts an SEP or SIMPLE plan for her s-corp, who directs the investments, and can it invest like any other IRA? >>

A SIMPLE plan can be a SIMPLE 401(k) variety or a SIMPLE IRA variety. The IRA variety is much more common and costs less to administer. Both the SIMPLE IRA plan and the SEP provide an IRA for each eligible employee to hold contributions. Each employee is responsible for directing their own investments within their IRA.

With a SEP, all money that goes in comes from the employer. If there are employees other than your wife who would be eligible, the SEP may cost more.

Additionally, the contribution limit to a SEP is 15% of compensation. This is only W-2 wages. It does not include other S-Corp distributions. On the other hand, if your wife's W-2 wages were only $6,000, she could still contribute the entire amount to a SIMPLE IRA (and get a match). You should consider how much it will cost to fund any other eligible employees, and whether or not your wife would have to increase her W-2 pay (and thus increase her social security and medicare taxes)in order to receive an adequate contribution under the SEP.

Hope this is helpful.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.