Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
<<I'm interested in starting a Roth IRA when they become available. I don't currently have an IRA to roll over. The question is this: will I be able to deposit $4K directly into the Roth IRA ($2K for 1997 tax year & $2K for 1998 tax year); or will I have to take the circuitous route and deposit $2K into a regular IRA first (for the 1997 tax year), then roll this into the Roth IRA, then add $2K for the 1998 tax year? >>

Sorry, but you'll have to go the long way around. Remember that Roth IRAs begin for tax year 1998. The earliest that you can make your Roth IRA contribution for 1998 would be 1-1-98 for TAX YEAR 1998.

And although you can wait until 4-15-98 to make a "normal" IRA contribution for 1997, you would not be able to make this normal contribution directly into the Roth IRA, since there is no Roth IRA available for 1997. See the problem? And this will be a problem, really, only in year one. In future years, you could delay the payment of year one and add it to your year two contribution. But for the first year, this option is not available.

So you'll be required to make a normal IRA contribution (either deductible or non-deductible...depending upon if you qualify), and then roll it over to the Roth IRA some time in 1998.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement