Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<In any case, I hope to avoid the problem by buying buy-and-hold stocks that pay no dividends. Then the little girl can pay all the capital gains when she goes to college, or goes on a cruise, with the money.>>

There you go. A really good strategy. But don't forget that even if you ARE in the kiddie tax area, the first $650 of income can be received by the child TAX FREE, and the next $650 will be taxed at the 15% rate (generally). Which means that you can cash out gains of $1,300 per year, and pay taxes of only $98. Not a bad deal.

And remember also that after the child turns 14 (thereby avoiding the kiddie tax rules), if done correctly, some of the gains can be liquidated on an annual basis with only a 10% long term capital gain rate. And after year 2000, it may be liquidated at an 8% long term capital gain rate.

So you CAN have your cake and eat it too, if the proper planning is put into place.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.