Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Is it possible to transfer stocks from a taxed brokerage account to an IRA? Or must I sell them and repurchase?

If a transfer from one account to the other is possible, what is the cost basis? Original purchase basis or value at date of transfer?>>

Thanks for the question, Mike. But I'm not sure that you will like the answer.

In order to "open" or contriute to an IRA account, you must generally do so with cash dollars. Transferring appreciated stock from a taxable account won't work. Now then, if you want to BORROW against your stock account, and fund your IRA with the loaned proceeds (without selling the stock), you can certainly do that. There are obvious risks to this method, but if you have high hopes for the stock, and don't really want to sell it right now, it may be an option for you.

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.