UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 740116  
Subject: Re: retire early? Date: 5/15/2003 3:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
<<Is there any reason to suppose that I would DOUBLE my spending if I were to retire?

I guess it depends on the retiree...

Personally there are so many things I want to do when I retire. I will have more time to travel the world, and enjoy those hobbies which also tend to cost $$$.

--
whyohwhyoh
>>

My hobbies usually either save me from spending money or make me money.

People are certainly different and you are entitled to whatever amount of consumption you wish. But I again suggest that there is little necessary relationship between personal income and personal spending.

Your presumption that there is a strong relationship between the two means that those contemplating early retirement might suppose that they need to save a much larger dollar amount before they retire than may be necessary. IF someone wants to engage in a lot of expensive consumption in retirement, they are wise to postpone retirement until they have the assets to support that level of consumption.

Those who are satisfied with modest levels of consumption can retire a lot earlier, and enjoy retirement while the person planning high levels of consumption is still working to acquire the assets to support that lifestyle choice.

Seattle Pioneer

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement