UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (125) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63014  
Subject: Re: Dallas sees Sicko Date: 7/8/2007 9:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
<<It's nice to think that all these problems will be magically solved with OTHER PEOPLE's money.

Please! OTHER PEOPLE's money? I am paying for your idiotic war in Iraq. I was against it from the get go but I am forced to pay for it. Is it unfair? You are damn right. But I deal with it. It is about time you people also had to pay for something you disapprove of. Deal with it!
>>

I think it's fair to compare the resentment my Liberal friends feel for paying for the Iraq war funded and unfunded, with the similar resentment conservatives feel for having the bright ideas of Liberals sucking the life out of their wallets.

One difference is that Liberals plan to fasten such costs on taxpayers FOREVER, while the Iraq war has been over for years, the costs of rebuilding after that war are presumably already declining and even the costs of the occupation will go away within a few years.

<<From what I've read, the movie fails on three big points..

You would have a lot more credibility if you actually saw the movie than depending on reading what FoxNews tells you to believe.
>>>

And please, it's unreasonable to demand that everyone see Michael Moore's epic before commenting on it. As I've noted, Michael Moore is properly charaterized as a propagandist, not an academic. He is not making any original arguments over the issues surrounding national healthcare. He is merely packaging them in emotionally appealing ways.

Nothing wrong with that ---Rush Limbaugh does the same thing. That's what skilled propagandists do, and why they are important and may be powerful.

But we can and do deal with the same issues here. We don't really need Michael Moore's packaging job to do that.

National health care failed in the 1990s when Clinton tried it because the middle class who already has great health care saw that national health care would reduce the quality of the care they received and increase their health care costs. That's why it's always failed to date.

Liberals have been trying for decades to undermine those facts at the margins in order to undermine the existing private health care model. Doing such things as requiring hospitals to treat people at emergency rooms regardless of ability to pay, requiring very high standards of health care and funneling ever more people into public health care plans have all helped drive up costs and help undermine private health care.

The present emphasis of health care Liberals is to establish systems of universal coverage in individual states. Such a system has already been tried in my state of Washington, and failed spectacularly because lots of people resisted the idea of having health care handed to them if they were expected to pay for it. I notice that these new state systems usually involve using employers to get around the fact that people still don't like the idea of paying for their health care costs.

Seattle Pioneer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (125) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement