Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFMax Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25223  
Subject: Re: index .vs high risk Date: 3/8/1999 3:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<I've read your article on 401Ks. I get the impression you are herding everyone towards indexes,
but what about high risk growth funds? I'm 22, maxed out my 401K, have 2 other mutual funds
and all are in the high risk categories because I plan to invest monthly for a long period of time. It's
this what people with long-term goals should do?>>

Dana,

I don't know that we're "herding" anyone -- we're just reporting the data: index funds are far and away the most productive mutual funds out there. The low costs and the low turnover rates give index funds an advantage of roughly 2% annually over managed mutual funds -- though the differential may be growing due to the increase in expense ratios in managed mutual funds over the last twenty years.

I'm not sure what "high risk growth funds" are. Index funds are no less "risky" than any other mutual fund -- they just follow mechanical approaches to investing the money, and do so in cost effective ways. If you're asking whether large-cap growth funds are better than index funds, you really need to compare their returns to an index fund which is invested specifically in growth stocks. Vanguard Growth (VIGRX) is an index fund invested in stocks generally categorized as the "growth" half (as opposed to the "value" half ) of the S&P 500 stocks. Vanguard Growth has been destroying the returns of other managed large-cap growth funds.

If you think growth will outperform value over the next 40 or 50 years ("growth" has actually underperformed "value" historically, but by the tiniest of margins), than you would do well to compare your mutual funds' records over the recent past to that of VIGRX.

Best,

Bill
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement