Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121592  
Subject: Re: logistics of actually GIVING appreciated sto Date: 11/19/1999 8:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<lmrobert asked about gifting appreciated stock to charities. I have done this for years, ranging from setting up an account for the church with my specific broker (accomplished with the help of the church treasurer) and then having the broker transfer X shares of Y stock to that account and sell immediately.>>

Yup...that's certainly the easiest way. And I have found very few charities that will refuse to open an account with YOUR broker in order to get a large contribution.

<<A second method I used was to have stock certificates issued in my name for various amounts of shares per certificate, then physically take this to the church treasurer, getting a contribution receipt based on the price on the day it was given.>>

Yup again...this method takes the risk of a stock downturn out of your hands and puts it in the hands of the charity...since the charity then must physically take the shares to their broker and deposit those shares. This could take a few days...and has some risk to them.

<<The method I currently use is something I find far more convenient, and that is the Fidelity Charitable Fund. I transfer stock from my account to this fund and get a charitable credit when it is transferred. The credit is for the median price for the day it is transfered, that is the midpoint between the high and low prices. Since it is from a Fidelity account, it is a simple bookkeeping entry. I then grant gifts from this Fund ($250 minimum, $50 increments) to whatever charities I choose, and they can be made at any time in the future. This has advantages for tax purposes if you itemize only on occasion.>>

Yup once again. I have a NUMBER of clients who are currently using the Fidelity Charitable Gift Fund. It's quick, easy, and makes year end tax planning for charitable contributions a breeze.

GREAT POST Gapfan...right on the money. It gets my nomination for post of the week!!!

TMF Taxes
Roy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement