No. of Recommendations: 0
<<<Do you guys know of a way to pay commissions for trades within an IRA from another source? I'd like to pay the fees with unsheltered $$. Is it a federal restricion that ira commissions come out of the ira $$ ?? Do they consider the commision a contribution?>>

This question comes up often in both this folder and in the Tax Strategies folder. The answer from all of the resident experts is: you pay your commissions from within the IRA; there is no way to pay the commissions from outside the IRA. Any additional monies added to the IRA would count as a contribution (and yes, it is part of the law).>

As far as I know, there are about two ways around this. One is to get an account that charges no commissions (usually such accounts have large minimum account sizes) and the other is the late, lamented, K.Aufhauser investment club, where you paid $800/year fixed account fee and traded free (subject to various rules). This was a fee, not a commission, so it could probably be deducted as an IRA fee and not a commission. I do not know if any other broker offers such a plan. You would need to do sufficient trading that the fixed $800 annual fee is less than the commissions you would otherwise pay.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.