UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: bigcaat Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76237  
Subject: Re: Oh, My God, What a mess!!! (long post) Date: 1/14/2001 8:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
<<<I have a feeling that like so many investors, you were a pretty happy camper 
until the market went south??? Now it appears you look at the numbers and are disappointed 
and are really quite confused as to what the investments really are. After all most 
of those mutual funds did just fine until the market slumped.>>>

TTRoberts --

No...we have never been happy campers with this annuity, good market or bad. Quite the 
opposite.  I was, in fact, appalled when I found out that my 37 year old husband had been put 
in an annuity at all.  I may be just learning about all of this stuff, but, from what I've read, 
one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that annuities should really only come into 
play after all other retirement options have been funded... and this was clearly not the 
case with him.  It's just by coincidence that the market is down now when I've found out what funds are 
in the account.

In fact, I have been pestering for months to find out exactly what is in there.  (It was an 
involved process of having to transfer the account and so forth -- not worth explaining here 
as to why it took so long.)

I do realize that annuity charges and fund charges are different.  This annuity is within the 
traditional IRA which holds the funds.  That is what all my research was about...we are 
getting charged all of it -- the fund charges, the annuity charges and the Merrill 
Lynch account charges.  

Thanks for your time and response. It's greatly appreciated.
bigcaat
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement