UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75384  
Subject: Re: Do I have enough? Date: 9/4/2000 9:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<<If I take an early retirement I will get a small pension of about $700/month. I'll get maybe $1200/month from Social Security starting in three years at age 62.>>>

Combined with your 600k retirement fund, which would give you about 30k/yr, you'll be "living" off of $3200/month for awile and then up to $4400/month. Your biggest fear isn't is that enough now, but is that enough 20-30 years from now. Due to inflation, that $4400 buying power could be down to $2000 when you're 75-80 and in no position to work.

<<<Also, my wife thinks I am “too young” to retire at 57. Any opinions on that?>>>

Personally, I'll never "retire" because I love doing what I do. However, I'll definitely slow down some. Not work as many days per week or what not. Or change from a paying job to a volunteer/charity job. I do have some older friends that have made their hobby their second career. Some have become golf course marshalls on a part time basis so they get all the free golf they want. THAT'S what I need to look into.

JLC

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement