Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: Re: Roth conversion mistake Date: 3/3/2000 7:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<<< When I converted my traditional IRA to Roth IRA at the end of 1998, I was under the impression that this was a non-taxed recharacterization and, accordingly, did not pay taxes on it. I now realize that I was supposed to pay, but I'm not sure how to handle the situation now. I'm assuming there's some form I can fill out and submit with my 1999 taxes. >>

No, you can't fix it on the 1999 return. You have to amend your 1998 return. You'll need Form 1040X and Form 8606 to report the conversion. The 4-year spread will apply. Send the 1040X with the additional tax. IRS will bill you for the interest.>>

Just to amplify on what Phil has to say. As usual, he's right on. But there is still some confusion regarding the 4 year spread.

The 4 year spread election must made on Form 8606 on a timely filed return. If no election is made, the four-year rule will be deemed to be elected. An election, or deemed election, cannot be changed after the due date for the return for the first year of the income inclusion (including extensions).

So, now, even if you WANT to report the entire conversion income all in 1998, I believe that you are barred from doing so. Since your election was not made on Form 8606 on a timely filed return, you are now stuck with the 4 year spread...like it or not.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement