UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: nancylouella Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 27  
Subject: Re: Ridulous arguements...Here they come Date: 10/1/2003 1:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<<<The issue is this and is legitimate: if Clark is really a Republican in Democratic clothing, why do we (as Democrats) want to elect him. Dean quoted Harry Truman: If you run two Republicans against each other, you end up electing a Republican.>>>>

Hi Paul,

I've heard General Clark speak a couple of times, and in one of the debates, he said he was a Democrat. I believe him. I believe him, because he talked about the issues that he felt were extremely important to most people today--at least I hope they are important to most people that vote today. They certainly are to me.

I have been a democrat for years. In fact, I have never voted Republican, yet. So, I could quote Harry Truman on that too. He once said, "I've done some terrible things in my life, God forgive me, but I've never voted Republican.".....So he and I have much in common. Besides that, though, one of the reasons I am a Democrat is that among the things that Democrats believe is that everyone is welcome. They are not the party of exclusion, and there are many points/issues that democrats will differ on, but that's okay. No one is expected to not have strong opinions about things important to them. I'm comfortable being a Democrat, and I welcome General Clark as a Democrat based on his opinions, beliefs, and character. I don't care if he voted Republican in the past. I don't care if he even likes some Republicans. That's okay. They are people too, you know--at least I think so in the case of one or two of them....:-) What's important is what he thinks and wants to do now. He's putting together a written strategy on the issues of importance to him and us, and I hope you will read it and decide on the basis of those that he's going to be not only a good Democrat, but a great one. Hopefully for history. Thanks for your comments....:-) mary

PS. I think Governor Dean is great, but I'm not sure that I agree with him on everything. I'm not happy that he went against Gebhart and Kerry in their attempts to keep the Medicare program intact against Gingrich's machinations.

Oh, one other point. The link to the article I posted was actually about how the Republican machine--especially the reelection media machine is rolling on trying to discredit and undermine General Clark's credibility early and often. I wasn't thinking about Democrats doing that, but now that you mention it, I've read some posts here on TMF of people who appear to be Democrats, but they seem to me to be in the mode of thinking they have to tear General Clark down as a way to build another candidate up. I don't really agree with that, and was surprised to see it. I'm all for ripping the Republicans when they deserve it, but I'm not very keen on the tack of questioning people credentials to hold an opinion that isn't shared by another. It's downright not Democratic.....:-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement