Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<<My Dad owns a house with about a $500,000 current market value, and about a $25,000 tax basis. He is a widower.

Is there any way he can shield more than $250,000 of the gain upon sale from federal taxes?>>>

"He could get married.

Or contact a real estate attorney and ask if a 1031 tax-free exchange might be useful."

In addition to the other fine posts, especially the one about improvements and step-up on his spouse's prior death, not all of which I quoted, he could continue to own the house until the day he dies and pass it along by will and the inheritor would receive a stepped-up basis.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.