UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: finchumk Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2387  
Subject: Re: A little light reading- Date: 9/7/2001 3:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<<"A truly professional teacher," as Harold Howe II noted in
these pages some years ago, "does not want to be told what or how to teach. Making decisions on such matters is the essence of academic freedom that accompanies professional standing.">>>

It's been awhile since I posted here, but I thought I'd add this:

I sympathize with a quality teacher who's stuck "teaching to tests," but after my high school experience, I believe there must be some standards as far as what is taught. My HS math and science programs were woefully inadequate for college, compared to what was offered in nearby towns.

Rather than an entire year of calculus for advanced math, the senior year consisted of a semester of Analytic Geometry, followed by a semester of calculus. Problem is, all the useful stuff from Analytic Geometry can be taught in a month (as it was in college), and should have incorporated into a year-long Calculus class. I ended up graduating with a BS in Math, and much of the crap we covered in the HS Analytic Geometry class, I never saw again; it was worthless. My classmates in college were shocked to hear that my HS didn't offer a full year of Calculus, when some high schools in my state offered *two* years of it! It should be mandatory for a high school to offer at least a full year, in my opinion.

My HS Chemistry/Physics teacher had a rep for being good, and I scored very highly in his classes. However, when my cousin from another district once asked for help, I noticed that she'd been covering material we never touched, and I couldn't help her. When I got to college (Purdue), guess what? Same problem -- I had stuff thrown at me I'd never seen, though most other students from nearby high schools had covered it. I don't feel that this type of variation should be permitted.

In any subject, I feel that the actual material being covered should be monitored somehow, so that students cannot be penalized by lazy teachers who simply don't want to cover the hard stuff.

Kurt

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement