Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<<Since this was your personal residence for the last 5 years, and it appears that you sold it in 1998, then you can defer $500,000 of gain on your residence. That is the figure for married couples filing jointly. The deferral amount for singles is $250,000. ( Be sure to file the proper forms with your tax return next April.) You will have to own your current house for 2 years before you can do the same thing again--that is, avoid paying capital gains on the sale of your home. Congratulations on your new home.>>>

Wait for further clarification on this from others. My understanding is that it is not a tax deferral but simply tax free. I also don't believe there are any forms to be filed with the tax forms. Also, the requirement is that it be your primary RESIDENCE for 2 of the last 5 years. You can probably find more information in the tax FAQs at this site.

gapfan :-)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.