Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Kasuma724 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65406  
Subject: Re: OT: My Saturday Date: 4/17/2006 4:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 81
<<My two oldest girls are a lot tougher. They are at that age where their world revolves around the telephone and friends. >>

Don't let them fool you.

While I was certainly a "daddy's girl" as a little child, he wasn't all that involved in my day to day care. I somehow knew, however, that if I were ever in danger, my dad would chew through 12 inches of steel to get to me. He may not have been overly involved, but he kept his eye on me to protect me.

I was one of those "very independent" teens. I spent my time on the phone and with my friends. I wasn't particularly close to my father, although I knew that he loved me. He was clumsy about telling me. He was awkward about giving advice. We didn't have those "heart to heart" talks that you see on TV or in movies. He was just... there. He worked a lot. He watched the news a lot. He occasionally got involved in discipline, but not all that often. I thought he didn't have much of an impact on my life.

All through my 20s, I was completely content to be single. I wasn't against marriage... it just wasn't a priority for me. I had a pretty exciting life - I moved to Europe when I was 25 and had all kinds of adventures.

Then my dad died.

Apart from the normal grief, I discovered a very odd thing. For the first time ever, I really struggled with the fact that I was single. I mean I REALLY struggled with it.

I did some deep soul searching and thinking as to why.... and one day realized... with my dad gone... there is no one on earth whose face lights up, simply because I walk into a room. My father's unswerving love and commitment to me, had been the bedrock of my self-esteem.

Once I realized that, I was able to make the necessary adjustments to my thinking... and I am again content to be single. But I will always be grateful for that foundation of "you're the best thing walking the face of the earth" that my dad gave me - without ever having said a word.

The high regard with which he held me, gave me the strength to stand on my own 2 feet... and to avoid some relationships that would probably have been damaging to me in the long run. I have discovered dozens of ways that he modeled values for me that have given me the ability to lead a good life.

It may not seem as though your older girls need you very much right now. But I assure you... you affect them. Don't ever think you don't.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement