No. of Recommendations: 0
<<My understanding is that to convert an IRA to a roth, you must make less than $100,000 as either a single or a married couple. (It seems unfair to the couple since the income level is raised for a couple to donate.)>>

Your understanding is correct.

<<If this is true, my question is: what happens if a single man and a single woman who qualified to roll
over into a Roth get married this year? Combined, they make more than 100K. It is also my understanding that they cannot file as married-filing single. Or is that just for contributing?>>

You are correct that they cannot file as married-filing single. It would appear that is they got married this year and converted to a Roth IRA, they would be subject to an excess contribution penalty tax. I will let the experts, TMFPixy and KAT, confirm this.

KAT's web site has a wealth of information
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.