Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121144  
Subject: Re: Home sales after marriage Date: 3/8/2000 11:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<OK, in the spirit of my oft-repeated assertion "You can't beat a dead horse too often," couldn't Uncle Sammy make the following claim? The married couple take the exclusion on the husband's house, fine. But a year later, when the wife's house is sold, the exclusion has already been taken and it is too soon to take it again.>>

That's what the OLD rules basically stated. Which is why it was important to sell homes prior to marriage (assuming both people were over age 55 1/2 and otherwise qualified for the "one in a lifetime" exclusion). But under the new law, the husband would not qualify (because of the prior home sale), but the wife would still qualify for a $250k exclusion...half of the married-joint exclusion.

Under the old rules, one spouse would taint the other. Uncer the new rules, the new spouse isn't tainted, but is instead relagated to using only half of the allowable exclusion. So if the gains on either home is less than $250k, there shouldn't be a problem.

<<This is what I would infer from the 4th bullet on Page 208 of the Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide 2000, a book written by TMFSelena and somebody else.>>

And I could see how you would make that reference. The heading, to which the bullets relate, have to do with the FULL $500k exclusion. Instead, read page 210 and the heading "Reduced Exclusion for Married Couples". We didn't really expand on this section, but this is really the "reduced" exclusion that I make reference to in this post. In retrospect, we should have expanded on this area of the law, but the editors thought the section was long enough as it was.

<<What I infer from Roy's #31130 is that he thinks both spouses are grandfathered as regards the $250,000 exclusion.>>

That's exactly what I think.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement