UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JackUSA Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7258  
Subject: Re: NYC Investment Club Date: 10/3/1997 10:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<O.K. What kind of set-up funds are you looking to spend?

(In case you were wondering, I am in your region and am also looking to form a group)>>

I'm responding to your post on the Motley Fool "investment club" message board.

I'm rather new to the Fool thing, just since June really, but the Foolish Four, the UV and UG concepts are so easy to execute that I don't think any of us really need much help with those aspects of our portfolios. On the other hand, it's a lot of work following those small cap growth stocks, especially once earnings reports start teeming again in November. What I'd like to see develop is a group of well-rounded people working together to research growth stocks, more or less according to the Foolish 8 criteria. Sharing the load, we'll all prosper better and learn
from each other. Sort of a live TMF message board, using real money.

Regarding initial outlay and monthly contributions, IMHO, we should start slow. That is, let us take the time to do the Foolish research that make for smart buys and timely sells, make us all wealthy and make _you_ a retired young lawyer. Also, since the focus of the club would be on growth stocks, I don't expect anybody would be putting 100% of their investment dollars into the club portfolio. That said, I haven't any firm figures in mind for the club, but I'd suppose no more than $500-$2000 to start and maybe $50-$100 per month, per member, more if we're all game. The members can work all that out at our early meetings.

So far, I have four prospective members, although nothing near firm commitments. Two are contacts through the Internet (one of which turned out to be the beau of a colleague); the other two are, respectively, a lifelong friend and my lawyer (who is also a good friend). The three non-lawyers are all involved with information technology in some form.

<<I know this is a bit intrusive, but what is your C.V.??>>

Intrusive AND Foolish, INDEED! I have a B.A. in Economics From the University of Virginia and am employed as a business analyst with a Fortune 500 apparel company, before which I was a marketing manager at Oxford Health Plans, and before that worked in advertising.

From your domain name, I'm guessing your law school is Seton Hall University. If a monthly trip from South Orange into the city is feasible for you, let's talk some more.

E-mail me and we can exchange phone numbers, etc.

***Any other interested Fools out there??***
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Starting a Club
Learn how to start and run your own club, the Motley Fool way!
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement