UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFJedi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308846  
Subject: Re: Windfall Dilemma Date: 5/6/1998 1:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<Should I:

1. Take my settlement, pay off the cards for good, and have nothing left to show for it? And then
trust myself to be disciplined enough to save future surplus.

2. Send the entire sum to my discount brokerage account, adding it to the meager, although
Foolishly-invested pile. Yes, Yes, I know! The 13 steps! But I'd be putting myself through the
agony of the disciplined process of paying back the debt so as to never get back in a hole again.

3. Some combination of the above. (sock some away, retire some debt)>>

Well, I would say that some of this depends on the interest rate(s) you're paying. My take, however, is:

1. Actually, you'd have peace of mind to show for it. (I don't know about you, but being in debt drives me NUTS!) And, if you cancel the cards (so you can't run 'em up again), you'll also have wonderful little bits of plastic confetti to throw around as you celebrate.

2. Not a bad idea. You could very well make significantly more through investments than you would save in interest by paying off the debt.

3. Definitely not a bad idea -- almost the best of both worlds.

Personally, I would go for option #1. But then again, peace of mind is my driving force in this, and I am young enough to have PLENTY of time to worry about investing for the future (and since I don't know your age or other concerns...).

Basically, it's up to you.

Good Luck!
Kaiti
Jedi in orbit
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement