Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<So the difference is due to the fact that there are fewer options for individual securities but how does that affect the proof/documentation aspect? Does the same restrictions applied to mutual fund shares when using the specific ID method? (That you need to send an actual letter, etc.)>>

The proof/documentation aspect is almost the same for both mutual funds and individual shares when talking about specifying stock, Henry. According to the regulations, if the shares are held by a broker or agent, the shares are considered to be "adequately identified" if:

1. You specify the particular shares to be sold
2. Your broker provides written confirmation of the indentification and sale within a reasonable period of time.

If YOU actually posess the mutual fund shares, the designation of the mutual share certificates would certainly be the best way to properly identify the shares.

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.