Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<The brokerage usese FIFO
So if I sell they will say I made a gain
But I want to sell that I bought this year...
and maintain what I brought last year?

So what should I tell the brockerage to do this
and what should I tell IRS that is is a LOSS
not again as the brockerage says?>>

As JeanDavid points out, there is a method by which you can specify the shares that you want to sell. There are certain hoops that you must jump through in order to ensure that the proper shares are sold. But you can certainly do it.

For additional information on this very issue, check out the Taxes Frequently Asked Questions area, and read the post entitiled "Specifying Stock". You'll get a flavor of exactly what you are required to do.

You can get to the FAQ area from the main Fool screen, then going to the Fools School area. Just follow the roadmaps from there.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.