No. of Recommendations: 0
<<The constitution requires that judges be nominated by the President and receive confirmation by the US Senate. The appointment of Neil Gorsuch is that latest example of the process, which has been going on for more than 200 years now.

Funny you should mention that. Obama nominated Merrick Garland. But the Senate under McConnell did not provide its advice and consent as required by the Constitution. Imagine if Harry Reid had done the same thing with Samuel Alito. >>

Senate failed to confirm the nominee of your hero?

Those are the breaks. One of the penalties of losing the elections, don't you know.

Now when Ruth Bader cashes in her chips, I expect to hear an enormous amount of weeping, tearing of hair and rending of clothing.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Everyone said I was too pessimistic two years ago. So tell me, how do you like Trump and the Republicans.

It's going to get a lot worse.

Hey, somebody's gotta say it. It is entirely within the realm of the possible

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anybody who thinks "it can't happen here" is sniffing glue or simply is not paying attention.
An object in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by and equal or greater force.

What force will stop it? The right wing controls every lever of power. White America WANTS a racist plutocracy. I think we are most of the way to the end of liberal democracy. We certainly have seen the death of progressive government.
We certainly have seen the death of progressive government.

Not dead yet, but on life support. Polls show Democrats picking up votes all over the country, but it doesn't look like enough to take back Congress any time soon...gerrymandering...voter suppression...tribalism...electoral college...
but it doesn't look like enough to take back Congress any time soon...gerrymandering...voter suppression...tribalism...electoral college...

. . . OLD PHART WHITE RACISTS WHO WOULD RATHER BELIEVE ALTERNATIVE FACTS AND FAKE NEWS THAN FACE REALITY!!
<<People who study these things say the first move of the fascists/autocrats is to pack the courts.>>

The constitution requires that judges be nominated by the President and receive confirmation by the US Senate. The appointment of Neil Gorsuch is that latest example of the process, which has been going on for more than 200 years now.

Of course, you appear to beleieve than anyone not conforming to your own ideology is a Fascist and Nazi. But the constitution has a much broader concept of diversity than that.

Seattle Pioneer
<<What force will stop it? The right wing controls every lever of power. White America WANTS a racist plutocracy. I think we are most of the way to the end of liberal democracy. We certainly have seen the death of progressive government.>>

The extremism of liberals, and in particular the outrageous use of the courts to change the constitution and enact laws the Congress would not touch, has been promoting the election of Republicans since Nixon was elected President.

Republicans would not be in power but for the excesses of liberals!

You guys SHOULD be afraid. Just as Obama's Presidency is being recversed by Trump, Supreme Court decisions are easily rewversed by any 5-4 majority,

And Ruth Bader isn't getting any younger.

Seattle Pioneer
OLD PHART WHITE RACISTS WHO WOULD RATHER BELIEVE ALTERNATIVE FACTS AND FAKE NEWS THAN FACE REALITY!!

We ALL have our own reality. Our brains evolved to understand reality as was necessary for survival.

The more we learn, the more our reality changes, and hopefully,the better we can deal with objective reality. Conservatives aren't happy their version of reality is changing. They think they can wall off change.

Saw this article about a rural Trump county compared to a cosmopolitan Trump county. Here was the mentality of the rural county:

Speaking of Trump

But that misses a larger point according to Pastor Ken Pardue, 74, of Antioch Baptist Church.

"First, do I believe that he is a spiritual man? Absolutely not," Pardue said of Trump. "But do I believe he is a friend to Christianity? I absolutely do."

"The second thing is, he loves America," he continued. "The people who were born here love America. They remember a different America, and he's promising to bring that America back."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/two-counties-two-cam...
A classic example of how ignorance of reality can hurt people is the ACA. Many ACA dependent people didn't realize that Obamacare was how they suddenly found themselves with insurance coverage. Post election thy discovered they were going to lose their health coverage and there was a big backlash. The backlash saved the ACA in the short term.

Unfortunately, stupid people fed constant lies by right wing media can't visualize any reality except their immediate condition. Stupid is the main reason for the Republican majority.
No. of Recommendations: 16
The constitution requires that judges be nominated by the President and receive confirmation by the US Senate. The appointment of Neil Gorsuch is that latest example of the process, which has been going on for more than 200 years now.

Funny you should mention that. Obama nominated Merrick Garland. But the Senate under McConnell did not provide its advice and consent as required by the Constitution. Imagine if Harry Reid had done the same thing with Samuel Alito.

Republicans as group claim to love the Constitution, but their words and actions show they despise it and have nothing but contempt for our system of government.

Another example of Republican disgust of the Constitution was earlier this month when Trump threatened to suspend NBC's broadcast license for reporting that Rex Tillerson called Trump a moron (A statement confirmed

This of course is prohibited by the 1st Amendment. Yet, not a single Republican that I'm aware of, and certainly no national leaders challenged Trump on his attack on the Constitution. Their silence speaks volumes.
<<The constitution requires that judges be nominated by the President and receive confirmation by the US Senate. The appointment of Neil Gorsuch is that latest example of the process, which has been going on for more than 200 years now.

Funny you should mention that. Obama nominated Merrick Garland. But the Senate under McConnell did not provide its advice and consent as required by the Constitution. Imagine if Harry Reid had done the same thing with Samuel Alito. >>

Those are the breaks. One of the penalties of losing the elections, don't you know.

Now when Ruth Bader cashes in her chips, I expect to hear an enormous amount of weeping, tearing of hair and rending of clothing.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 12

No, the Senate failed to provide advice and consent.

This is just another example of how much you Republicans hate the Constitution and all it stand for.

You people hate our freedoms and system of government and you won't rest until you destroy it.
No. of Recommendations: 2
You people hate our freedoms and system of government and you won't rest until you destroy it.

And they are making such progress I now believe they will achieve their goal.

My daughter now thinks the election of Donald Trump has been worse for this country than 9/11. My other daughter, who lives in Germany, may never come back to live in the US.
No. of Recommendations: 2

This is just another example of how much you Republicans hate the Constitution and all it stand for.

It appears to me that the GOP simply took a page from the Democrat playbook.

Sen. Chuck Schumer said in July 2007 that no George W. Bush nominee to the Supreme Court should be approved, except in extraordinary circumstances, 19 months before a new president was set to be inaugurated.

President Bush never got the opportunity to appoint another Justice after Schumer spoke in 2007, so the matter was rendered moot.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/schumer-in-2007-dont-confi...

I am sure Senator Schumer would have done his darnest to block any Bush nominee from sitting on the Supreme Court. He just didn't have a chance.
Republicans would not be in power but for the excesses of liberals!

Just as liberals will eventually be in power due to the current and future excesses of the republicans. I do believe Rump is accelerating that process.
No. of Recommendations: 9
"Those are the breaks. One of the penalties of losing the elections, don't you know."

Garland was nominated well before the election. Don't you know.
<<Senate failed to confirm the nominee of your hero?

You people hate our freedoms and system of government and you won't rest until you destroy it.>>

You guys moaned and groaned about that a minor amount, but few cared.

There was NO obligation of the Senate to vote on your hero's nomination.

But keep whining about how the Republican kicked sand in your face if you like. It's weak, pathetic and useless, but apparently it's political comfort food for liberals.

Seattle Pioneer
Just as liberals will eventually be in power due to the current and future excesses of the republicans

Actually they won't be.
<<Republicans would not be in power but for the excesses of liberals!

Just as liberals will eventually be in power due to the current and future excesses of the republicans. I do believe Rump is accelerating that process.>>

That's entirely possible ----even likely.

That's the risk of getting too far away from the values and interests of the electorate, and giving you political opponents the opportunity to capitalize on your weaknesses.

Seattle Pioneer
<<"Those are the breaks. One of the penalties of losing the elections, don't you know."

Garland was nominated well before the election. Don't you know.>>

When Obama made his nomination, the Senate was controlled by Republicans.

Seattle Pioneer
People who study these things say the first move of the fascists/autocrats is to pack the courts.-goofnoff

Do you mean like the liberal hero Franklin Delano Roosevelt tried to do in 1937?

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/roosevelt-announc...

Roosevelt announces “court-packing” plan

On February 5, 1937, President Franklin Roosevelt announces a controversial plan to expand the Supreme Court to as many as 15 judges, allegedly to make it more efficient. Critics immediately charged that Roosevelt was trying to “pack” the court and thus neutralize Supreme Court justices hostile to his New Deal.

Joe
Actually they won't be.

Yeah, they will.

And don't call me Actually . . . .:o)
<<People who study these things say the first move of the fascists/autocrats is to pack the courts.-goofnoff

Do you mean like the liberal hero Franklin Delano Roosevelt tried to do in 1937?

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/roosevelt-announc...

Actually, I think FDR was right on target with the aim of his court packing plan. Conservative justices had been overruling FDRs political program for his entire first term in office.

Conservatives were using the court to frustrate a liberal political agenda just as liberals have been frustrating a conservative agenda for decades now.

Lifetime appointments mean that judges have no reason not to abuse their powers to impose their political views on the nation ---- liberal or conservative.

Since the inception of the Republic, liberals and conservatives have taken turns abusing the powers of the courts.

Of course, in late 1937 FDR began a historic series of Supreme Court appointments which remade the court, and changed the nature of the political abuse to which the courts bowed.

There are many ways to prune back the abuse of judicial power. My personal favorite would be limiting judicial terms of office to ten years, renewable if the Senate re confirms the judge.

Seattle Pioneer
Advertisement