Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<The conversion of an IRA to a Roth IRA could increase income enough to create a tax penalty situation. Will the government forgive penalties that are caused by the extra income due to a Roth IRA conversion in 1998? Are extra tax payments needed to cover the extra income? What if I decide to convert to a Roth IRA on December 31, 1998 and don't have enough time to send in my extra tax payment?>>

At this time the law does not provide any special allowance concerning estimated tax obligations for people who roll a regular IRA to a Roth IRA, and I am not aware of any plan to change the law in this regard. As explained on my web site, most people in this situation will not incur a penalty in the year of the rollover because of the safe harbor for tax payments based on the prior year's tax liability. But if you use the four-year spread for rollovers in 1998 you may have a penalty in years 1999 through 2001 if you don't make appropriate estimated tax payments.

KAT in Chicagoland
Tax Guide for Investors
Now with expanded and revised
Roth IRA information
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.