Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<There were indeed FICA and Medicare taxes withheld from the check. Based on what you say, it sounds promising. >>

Don't know about promising...but it sure sounds like "earned" income.

<<I did search through the IRS website. Found nothing specific. They did have a Tax Law questions by email function so I submitted the question to them. >>

Good luck...

<<I did develop another concern based on something that I encountered on the IRS website. I took the following quote from an article entitled Employee Compensation.>>


<<If you are an employee, you should receive a Form W-2 from your employer showing the pay you received for your services. Include your pay on line 7 of Form 1040 or Form 1040A, or on line 1 of Form 1040EZ, even if you do not receive a Form W-2.>>


<<If you are not an employee, you generally will not receive a Form W-2. Nonemployee compensation is generally reported on Form 1099-MISC, Miscellaneous Income. For information on reporting nonemployee compensation, see the instructions on the back of Form 1099-MISC>>

OK again...

<<Based on this excerpt and the fact that my employment terminated in October of last year, do you think that it is possible that my severance income will be reported on this 1099-MISC instead of the W-2?>>

Anything's possible, but I would be very, very surprised. 1099 forms are for non-employee compensation, with no withholding for FICA or FWT. It would be a real twist of logic to give you a 1099 while at the same time withholding FICA. It just wouldn't make any sense.

<< I did not know enough to ask this question of my employer before I left and I don't particularly feel excited about spending another $15 to be put on hold and then told that they don't know again.>>

Can't blame you...

<<Another thought is, if I put the $2000 in, and then early next year find out that I wasn't supposed to, is it possible to take it back out as if I never put it in in the first place. Somebody mentioned that this might be possible and something I should consider.>> can recharacterize the Roth IRA back to a traditional IRA (including the contributions and the earnings). The deductibility of the IRA will be based upon a new set of rules (as noted in the Taxes FAQ area). But the worst that would happen is that you would have a non-deductible traditional IRA.

You could certainly remove the contribution (tax and penalty free), but any earnings that are removed would be subject to both tax and penalties.

So the choice is yours...but a recharacterization would likely be in your best interest. This is also discussed in the Taxes FAQ area.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.