Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<They are also paying an extra $100 per month to retire the 'no-interest loan' of the $15,000 downpayment/closing costs.>>

"Which is money that you guys fronted to the kids. I'm guessing that you don't have any type of lien or mortgage against the any interest that the kids are paying would also not be deductible. This can be fixed with a simple 2nd TD placed against the property. If you are not charging them interest, then you might have some problems with the imputed interest was mentioned in the prior post."

I rarely disagree with Roy, but I fear his distaste for these kinds of deals might be blurring his vision.

The kids do not own the property, so they cannot grant a 2d lien agaisnt it. Title was taken, apparently (and presumably), by aunt, uncle and wife's sister (mother of the niece). In addition, it is very likely that existing first lien contains a "due on sale" or "due on encumbrance" clasue that would allow the first lender to call its loan if the owner of the property placed a 2d lien against the property without the first lender's consent.

Lastly, I hope that aunt, uncle and aunt's sister did not misrepresent that they would be living in the house in order to obtain owner financing, as opposed to investor financing, from federal programs that are intended to encourage owner occupied housing.

Just my $0.02. Regards, JAFO

Print the post  

In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.