Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
<<This assumes, obviously, that you don't have any other income. And if you are considered US residents, any income from Australia would be required to be reported on your US return>>

No other income. My husband is Australian, previously working for the Royal Australia Air Force. There is no overlap of getting-paid-in-Australia and being a US resident. In other words, he resigned from the RAAF, then we moved back to America and were US residents AFTER he worked there. Taxes (at 49% mind you) have already been paid on his AU salary prior to US residency.

Does that make sense? :)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.